Concussed, she is.

I can’t win. Seriously. Ever. It’s like the hits just keep on coming…and coming. Yeah. Today was NOT a good day. I’ve barely slept the past three days, thanks to the headache from HELL that I’ve had since the accident Monday night. As frustrating as it’s been, I’ve been trying to just be patient and just wait for it to go away on its own. I figured it was just a tension headache or something from the stress of all this accident aftermath. Annoying, but temporary. Until today. I woke up at like 6 am and my head was literally pounding. I got out of bed to get a water from the fridge to take a pain pill with…and didn’t make it two steps before everything started spinning and I was running into the bathroom to throw up. As if that wasn’t bad enough, afterwards I was standing at the sink brushing my teeth and out of nowhere, blood just started gushing from my nose. Trust me, it wasn’t a pretty sight. After I’d finally gotten the blood stopped, I went back to bed to lay down again for a while. I woke up a few hours later and was sitting at the computer working on some photo edits for the film when I got another nosebleed. Naturally, I thought it seemed a bit strange–two nosebleeds within an hour–especially considering I only remember ever having maybe two or three nosebleeds in my entire life. Even so, I didn’t pay much mind to it…until I had a third one no more than an hour later, if that. That’s when I really started to worry and realized that something wasn’t right.


I was about to head out and drive back to the ER when the lawyer called. She asked me some questions about the accident and the insurance dealings I’ve had the past two days, and my injuries. She sounded like she might take on the case, which is a good thing. When I told her about the headaches and the nosebleeds, she cut me right off and told me to get right to ER…and call her back in the morning to discuss the next steps in this whole process.


So that’s what I did. I hung up with her and drove right to the hospital in Symrna–about 12 or so miles from here–that, according to reviews on the internet, had a really good Emergency Room. It’s associated with the hospital I went to in Nashville after the accident, so I didn’t think it mattered if I went to the one that was closer. Yeah…big mistake. I think I’d have been better off driving the additional 20 miles to the other hospital. It was that bad. I got there around 5 pm or so, I think, and waited about 30 mins to be triaged. Then about 20 minutes after that, a nurse came out and brought me back to have a CT scan. After the test, I went back out to the lobby to wait for a room to open up. That was at about 6 pm or so. Yeah. I literally didn’t back to a room until almost 9:30 pm. THREE freaking hours I had to wait there, my head pounding and eyes hurting from the hospital-fluorescent lighting. It was ridiculous. The staff claimed they were super busy and that they were just waiting for rooms to open up…and that’s why it was taking so long. Yeah…total bullshit. There were people that got there AFTER I did that weren’t at all emergent-patients (there was this one guy that had the flu and another was some teen girl that sprained her finger in a car door and others…) that were brought back to rooms, treated, and discharged–like 2 hours before I even got called back. It was bullshit. And the reception/triage staff were being so rude and telling people to basically just suck it up and sit there and wait…that they’d get to them when they got to them…that they were busy and were treating people on an acuity basis. It probably wasn’t mature of me, but as I was leaving, I called out the male intake nurse on his bullshit lie that they were treating on an acuity basis…pointing out for his future reference that–while I’m not a medical professional–I’m pretty sure a concussion trumps a damn sprained pinky finger. Yep, I was pissed. And rightly so.


Post-Concussive Syndrome…that’s the official diagnosis, according to the doctor that finally came in to see me. I didn’t like him. From the second he walked in, he rubbed me the wrong way. He could tell that I was pissed off and annoyed to have had to wait for 4 hours out there just to be seen…and his attitude just added fuel to the fire. Especially when he started asking me about the nosebleeds and went off on this whole “well, you know people watch a lot of TV and movies and think that nosebleeds are associated with concussions…but technically aren’t” cocky spiel, which pissed me off. So I clarified for him that I never said the nosebleeds had anything to do with a concussion or the accident…just that I’d had three and that I NEVER had nosebleeds until now. Then he proceeded to give me this ridiculous demonstration on what you’re supposed to do when you get a nosebleed and the proper way to tilt your head and well…all that bullshit. Finally I was fed up and just came right out and asked him what the CT showed and what was causing the headaches, and what I had to do to make them go away. That’s when he started talking concussion. Apparently I hit my head pretty darn good in the accident. Lucky me. Anyhow, he wanted to give me some shot, but I opted for the pain pills because with the shot, I wouldn’t have been able to drive back to my apartment and I wasn’t going to ask my friends to come all the way out from Nashville to bring me home and I certainly wasn’t leaving my truck there and taking a taxi. So, I took the scripts.


When I got back home, I started reading up on this whole post-concussive syndrome thing and found that its defined as :

Postconcussion syndrome, also known as postconcussive syndrome or PCS, is a set of symptoms that may continue for weeks, months, or a year or more after a concussion – a minor form of traumatic brain injury (TBI).


Wonderful. Fucking-A-Wonderful. Just what I need. Ugh, I swear, if there was a way for me to find that bastard who thought it would be cool to stop in the middle of the fucking interstate and cause a three-car-wreck and the drive off…I’d give him more than just some minor traumatic brain injury…believe me. Damn him. As if my life weren’t complicated enough…now I gotta deal with this? It’s messed up. And so not fair. I didn’t do anything to deserve this. I was just driving home…minding my business…not bothering no one. And now…I’ve got a concussed brain and an undefined time-frame of dealing with these headaches and whatever other symptoms that may decide to show up.


Just my luck.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: